Under the Tuscan Sun

Greetings dear readers....I've finally gotten around to thinking about writing again after a whirlwind many months of changes and adventures. I felt a little stumped on what to write about and post, but the blockage is slowly clearing after giving myself permission to just "be" instead of "do, do, do".... Italy, northern Italy in the Tuscan hills to be exact, was exactly what I needed. Born a European and a traveler, I needed to feel that earth beneath my feet again and experience the rich traditions of art and food and architecture and the people of my past.... What's really cool is that I am still in touch with nearly all I met along the way - including some generous and kind Italians who opened their home to me and shared a bit of their life.  The world doesn't feel so huge and cruel and empty (as much of the internet will tell you) when one travels and discovers that, while we may speak different languages and wear different skin, our hearts seem to collectively yearn for the same things...

Here is a brief glimpse of my adventures:

A view from the back of the 17th century villa I shared with kindred spirits for 10 days while learning platinum-palladium printing techniques, eating-eating-drinking-eating Tuscan food, making new friends, and nurturing my creative muse. Did I mention eating?



And this was our nightly sunset view, walking back up from the village center, looking across the valley towards the very mountain that the marble slab came from to create 'David'....



Yes, I was seriously considering buying this in the quiet little village that has withstood the ravages of time... Can you hear the church bells chiming? Every day, every hour, 'like clock-work'.  I miss those sounds....


























Back in Firenze (Florence), Ponte Vecchio along the Arno River is a lovely mix of old and new. This was my view from our dinner table one sultry summer evening...



The quintessential find along the streets of Firenze...



The studio window we worked under in a musty, ancient cellar of the villa. It opened to a stunning view of the valley and village below us which we had no idea existed until the last night we were there to celebrate and show our creations from the week. That's how immersed in the making we were....

Breaking bread. Every morning, a handful of adults gathered around this table, waiting for the warm bread made every day just for us.  It was a gift of love waiting to be savored....



I have an afternoon date with a fellow artist friend today - to share my Italian adventure with. It's on her bucket list so I am offering encouragement to go for it. Life is fleeting and meant to be experienced outside of our dreams.

Thank you for staying with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking Shelter (aka Querencia 2)

19 March 2012

The Big C